School Facts


Blaker-Kinser Jr. High School was named for two roads which intersect in front of the school. Blaker Road was named after a family who built a ranch in western Ceres in the 19th century and whose farm house was located where the east parking lot of the school is now located. The origin of the name of Kinser Road has eluded staff researchers.

The land bordering Blaker Road had once belonged to the Blaker family who acquired the land in 1900. The Blakers had arrived in the area from Holland in the mid -1800s. After purchasing the property, they ran a dairy and later planted figs and grapes. They eventually built chicken houses to supply the family with eggs to sell. The first house was built by A. J. Blaker, and was later given to Fred and Ella Blaker as a wedding present in 1912. Their children, Jess and Edith, were born there. Jess Blaker attended the school’s dedication in 1994.

In 1993—94, Mae Hensley Jr. High school had close to 1300 students’ school.  As a way to alleviate the overcrowding at Mae Hensley Jr. High, a new school was proposed to be built on the land at the corner of Blaker and Kinser Roads that was purchased in the late 1980s.

Under the leadership of principal Phil Swearingen and Vice Principal Laurie Sacknitz, Blaker-Kinser opened in the Fall of 1994 with 452 students and eighteen teachers. The teachers were involved in many of the decisions that would help shape how the school would be run.

Over the years Blaker-Kinser has doubled in size and has gone through several administrator changes. The principals at Blaker-Kinser have been Phil Swearingen, Michael Gonzales, Geoff Barney, Debra Bukko, Kristi Britton, Paul Rutishauser, Danielle Cox, and Matthew Hutsell. 

Today, the 700 students at Blaker-Kinser can participate in a number of extracurricular activities sponsored by the staff. These activities include the Junior Leaders of Agriculture, the Academic Pentathlon, the Science Olympiad, Baking Club, and ASB.